Sunday, November 25, 2012

New York Journey part 1- Timesquare and subways

So this is my entry on getting to New York as an exchange student about 7 years ago.
I can't really say it was expensed free, but i had only 300 dollars in my pocket, the last of my dollars and counting the last days in this free country. Yeah I had to leave because my year as an exchange student was going to be over (BOO! :( ). It was customary for expensed exchange student (by the government) to go to New York and maybe do a little studying of the culture, but for me it was more like sightseeing. Here is what I wrote back in the day so please excuse my grammar and the left behind information because this was written as I remembered from 7 years ago (not that I am getting better at it right now). It might not be a source of information for travellers because I couldn't really remember all the stations and stops and the expense of things. It is merely just a journal I wrote before going back to my home country. I will add comments written in brackets, (inspired by Eli from the itsjustgetsstranger.blogspot.com) because he is awesome! (if you ever read this Eli, yes I blogstalk you!)
 So as I step down out of the train from new jersey to new york, went straight to do heart of  the city of apples. The subway was more incredible than i thought it would be, yes it was exactly like the movies. the morning was filled with bustled people, running, pacing trying to get to their train before it leaves. There were people off all kinds; blue collars, white collar workers, couples, tired people, hangovers, party people, the homeless, the shameless, the eccentric, the artists, travellers like myself. We were just people trying to find the meaning of life one way or another. 
There were street performances right in the heart of the subway lines. i couldn't really remember where i was at that moment it was more like a dreary dream, I arrived in new york at three in the morning. it was perfect, people was just getting started with their busy mornings. The performances welcomed me with hip hop beats, the guy was street dancing, twirling here and there right on the floor. it was awesome. Somewhere along the other line was another performer finding his way with his old awesome guitar.
 First was buying the passes for the subway was easy, just like an atm click here click there and the ticket was yours. i took the 3 day pass for $15. the subway was cleaner in this part  of town. I saw the train when i first arrive at the buzzing street of Timesquare, the first daylight I saw in new york was loud, crowded and felt like a dream. There were some performers playing guitars bare naked in the middle of the street singing some country songs. People especially guys were gathered around the lady either trying to see some cleavage or butts behind the guitar covered body.  The billboards some light up with advertisements, olive garden the restaurant, leading the way to  broadway, hard rock café, the original sports station, surf’s up, ads for jeans with big butts showing the brand and stuff.
This reminded me by the hard rock café incident (a funny and annoying story). so yes, my mates (the other exchange student) from germany had the guts to come in and booked us a place for the bar down on the basement of hard rock cafe, when  we actually wasn't old enough ( reminder: I was 17 at the time) until it was our turn to go in security whom finally asked for id. We were petrified and tried to tell him we were too young but the security already had us by our arms. So this German kid ran, leaving us, the tiny girls inside the waiting room speechless and led outside by security for being a minor. I was mad yet he just laughed at us making reasons up like, " I thought we were allowed in but when I saw the sign saying 18+ I panicked" like oh come on, so you had no guts to tell the 3 girls waiting at all and just told us to go in. Urrgh! (He continued trying to lead us in incidents the whole 4 days in New York, Just keep reading)
So, we went to NY in June so the place was crowded with people in summer dresses, yet it was windy in the big apple. Yes, fashion had a statement here in the big capital.what caught my eye was the walks in the middle of timesquare,  and yes the ones people always shoot in movies, outlooking the times building where on new years eve the big silver ball would drop. with digital screnes across the whole building ever changing from one ad to another. I wasn't big on  shopping so no shops actually crossed my mind. but yes i had to get a postcard, that originally came from this big ever buzzling street. i bought 12 in total. (I collect postcards, what? I like it!)  but what caught my mates was the nike shop, and yes who wouldn't want to actually try the original shoes this outlet had to offer, so yeah we went in trying every pair that this heart desires and not looking back when we know we don't have the money to even pay for half the  price. We tried walking out of the store without being seen yet the pile of shoes we tried actually caught the staffs attention so we were pretty much was looked on with hateful eye until we vanished unto the streets of Timesquare. Can't wait for tomorrow!

This is all for part 1. Wait for Part 2. I wish I could post some of the pics I took of timesquare and some of me looking so geeky and also the postcards I bought but not sent. Well till then, tatataa my friends.

Pica

No comments:

Post a Comment